Robert M. Wilson
Robert Wilson’s practice focuses on white collar criminal defense, child protection litigation, professional negligence and complex business litigation in both state and federal court. Mr. Wilson graduated from the University of Colorado in 1979 and received his J.D. from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law in 1983. Mr. Wilson has tried cases in both state and federal court, including complex white collar criminal matters. He has appellate experience in the Fifth and Ninth Circuits and the Supreme Court of the United States. The Chief Judge for the Eastern District of California recently appointed Mr. Wilson to serve as a Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Wilson began practicing law with Segal & Kirby, initially as an associate and later as a partner. In 1993, Mr. Wilson formed his firm and continued to represent individuals and business clients targeted in criminal investigations, and collateral civil, regulatory and administrative actions. Mr. Wilson has a longstanding interest in technology and the internet and was an Advisory Board member to FindLaw.com, a legal internet research portal that was eventually acquired by Thomson/West.
From 2006-2012, Mr. Wilson served as the Executive Director of Sacramento Child Advocates, Inc., a non-profit law firm that served the 3000-plus children in foster care in Sacramento County.
- California State Bar
- Colorado Bar Association (inactive)
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- Litigation experience includes trials in both state and federal court:
- White collar criminal defense at the federal and state level
- Business litigation at the federal and state level
- Broker/Dealer securities arbitrations
- Legal malpractice defense
- Insurance defense
- Plaintiff personal injury
- Plaintiff medical malpractice
- Advisory Board member to FindLaw.com prior to and during acquisition by Thomson/West
- General Counsel to a publicly traded technology company during a financial restructuring and reorganization
- Represented various small to medium size businesses in a general counsel capacity
- Negotiated and drafted commercial property leases
- Negotiated commercial real estate purchases
- Appellate experience before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court
- Early Neutral Evaluator, United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- Adjunct Professor, Contracts, University of Northern California School of Law
- Mock Trial Judge, Pacific McGeorge School of Law – National Ethics Trial Competition
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California, Eastern District Conference Planning Committee, 2013-present
- Lawyers Representative, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, 2013 to present
- Anthony M. Kennedy Inn of Court
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- Sacramento County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- National Association of Counsel for Children
- National Association of Counsel for Children, Children Law Office Project
- Sacramento Casey Family Programs Educational Team
- Case Family Programs Breakthrough Collaborative Series on Education
- California Foster Youth Educational Task Force
- National Governor’s Association Youth Transitioning Out of Foster Care – Educational Workgroup
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges – Permanency Planning for Children Department – Educational Checklist Workgroup
- California Foster Care Month Coalition
- California Adoption Day Coalition
- Sacramento Unified School District Advisory Council
- Sacramento Unified School District Sutterville Elementary School Site Council
- Presenter – UC Davis Child Abuse and Neglect (CAN) Conference
Licenses and Admissions
General Counsel/Business Experience
Past Board Member – American Justice Institute – The American Justice Institute (AJI) was created in 1958 by world recognized juvenile and adult correctional leaders. The Institute has been a source of independent, unbiased information and policy recommendations for California correctional decision makers since its creation. AJI has conducted and sponsored a wide range of major projects to provide correctional managers with a basis for effective decision making.
Past Advisory Board and parent volunteer – River City Theatre Company –– RCTC provides young people with the opportunity to develop skills, self-confidence, and self-esteem through learning all aspects of musical theater in a positive, supportive workshop environment. www.rivercitytheatre.org s
interest and support for live musical theater.
Past Board Member/Pro Bono Counsel, Vocational Training & Employment – VTE is a non-profit corporation that assists developmentally delayed adults’ transition into the job market and independent living.
Past Pro Bono Counsel, Clothing Women for Success – Clothing Women for Success was a non-profit corporation which assisted low-income women transition from welfare to employment by providing professional working attire before it was acquired by WEAVE.
Past Board member, American Red Cross, Sacramento/Sierra Chapter.
Past Board member, Sacramento Child Advocates, Inc.